Free Stuff Friday
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the Free Stuff Friday promotion will operate ("Challenge"). In these rules, "we," "our," and "us" refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of this Challenge. "You" refers to an eligible Challenge entrant.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
The Challenge entry period will consist of separate drawings each Friday until the Sweepstakes is discontinued. Each Prize Period will start at 12:01 A.M. PT and end at 11:59 P.M. PT on consecutive Fridays. The first Prize Period will start on Friday, January 28th, 2011. The Contest may be discontinued at the Sponsor’s sole discretion following the completion of any Prize Period.
CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Challenge if you meet the following requirements at the time entry:
- You are 17 years of age or older; and
- You are NOT a resident of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria; and
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Challenge; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Challenge.
This Challenge is void within the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law. If you have not reached the age of majority in the jurisdiction where you legally reside, you should ask your parents’ permission before entering.
HOW DO I ENTER?
At least once during each Weekly Prize Period, a Halo-related question or task will be posted via the Halo Waypoint Twitter feed. The post and details page will indicate whether winners will be determined based on judging criteria, or randomly selected. To submit an eligible entry, you must respond via a "tweet" with your answer to any of the posted questions or by Tweeting the relevant text before the stated deadline closes. Your Tweet must include the required “hashtag” or other identifier to be eligible. You must be a follower of Halo Waypoint within two weeks following the Friday Prize Period to be contacted as a winner.
We will automatically disqualify:
- Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
- Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZES
Within 7 days following the end of each Weekly Prize Period, winners will either be selected based on the stated judging criteria (for example, “submit the most useful Halo tip”), or will be randomly selected from among all eligible entries received, to each win a Halo-branded prize. The total number of prizewinners and actual prizes will vary by week, but will include Halo items such as McFarlane Toys and Action Figures, Tor Books, Halo Minimates, and other similar items. Prizes will have a fair market value of at least $ 10. The total number of prizes will be announced each Weekly Prize Period. Limit one prize per person within four Weekly Prize Periods. If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by direct message to your Twitter account.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the authorized account holder of the Twitter handle used to enter the Challenge to be the potential winner. If multiple entrants submit the same or similar answers during a week when answers are judged, the first person to submit the answer will be attributed with the winning entry. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you are a potential winner and you are 17 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Challenge:
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- If you are otherwise eligible for this Challenge, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
- Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer's warranty and / or terms and conditions.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Challenge you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless Microsoft and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Challenge, or any prize won; and
- That Microsoft's decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Challenge; and
- That, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Challenge, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CHALLENGE IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Challenge will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Challenge.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CHALLENGE CAN'T RUN AS PLANNED?
In the event of cheating, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Challenge, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Challenge. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Challenge, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change, or suspend the Challenge. If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Challenge by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Challenge, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
You can obtain a list of confirmed winners by sending an email with your first and last name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading "Free Stuff Friday List". We will send the list of confirmed winners as of the date the request is received.
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CHALLENGE?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052